Hide Category Titles in Artisteer 3 Themes

I actually like the way that Artisteer gives you the options to feature the category title along with your category description in the upper left hand corner of the sheet. However, not everyone wants that title to appear and some feel that it’s a bit redundant. It’s very simple to remove this, and here are the simple steps.

1.) Click on the Editor Tab underneath Appearance on your Dashboard, and find your Archive.php file toward the top of the right hand column.

2.) Find the following code within that file:

if (is_category()) {

echo '<h4>'. single_cat_title( '', false ) . '</h4>';
	echo category_description();

3.) Remove the category and description section so it now looks like the following code below. Note: you are not adding anything, but only removing some code. You can only delete the title or the description code if you want to show just one of those but not both.

if (is_category()) {

} elseif( is_tag() ) {

4.) Click the Update button at the bottom of the page, and you are all set.

Note: It’s always good to have another browser open simultaneously with your site open so you can preview your changes in that browser while still leave the editing section open in the other browser. After you’ve updated, make sure to hit F5 in the preview browser to see how everything looks.

© 2011, reflectingthedesigner.com. All rights reserved.

October 27th, 2011 at 7:43 am

After looking at several ‘solutions’ on other pages, this one did the trick. Thanks. Easy, yet usefull!

October 27th, 2011 at 7:49 am

Glad it worked for you. :)

Patrick
December 29th, 2011 at 8:10 am

I’ve tried that but it didn’t work for me.

Sarah
December 29th, 2011 at 8:13 am

Patrick, which part did you try and what didn’t work? You’ll need to be a bit more specific. If you remove the call to this in the Archive page, it should remove it from the top.

Patrick
December 29th, 2011 at 8:43 am

I don’t have this list on the top. The categories list is in one of the side bars.
I removed the part as specified , refreshed, but they are still there.
What option, other than the above in Artsteer are you referring to?

Sarah
December 29th, 2011 at 9:06 am

This is in the exported Artisteer theme files as mentioned above. There’s no way to make this change in Artisteer itself.

What does your Archive.php file look like? That’s where you should be able to find the code relating to the category title and description, because the Archive.php file is what tells WordPress how to display your category and post archives. I’m not sure what you are referring to in the sidebar. The sidebar.php file? That’s definitely not the file you want to edit.

Patrick
December 29th, 2011 at 9:15 am

I’m not editing or touching sidebar.php. The code in archive.php is found as you specified and I removed as per your instructions.
I’m saying on my test site the archives and categories are only displayed in the side bar.

Sarah
December 29th, 2011 at 9:28 am

Aaahh, I think we might be talking about two separate things. I’m referring to the Category Title and category description that appears at the top of the page (in the left hand side) when you click on a category. The description only appears if you actually type in a description for the category you create.

If you are just referring to the archive list or category list that appears by default on your blog, you can simply remove those from the Widgets Page. Note, if you have no other widgets selected, those default ones will still appear. Is that what you are referring to?

Sarah
December 29th, 2011 at 9:30 am

An example of what I mean is what appears at the top of the page when you click on the Artisteer Tips tab at the top. That’s simply a post category. I think you might be referring to just the simple category listing in the sidebar (that’s the default setting that Artisteer puts out and what I said could be altered within the Widgets Dashboard of your WordPress site.) Hope that makes sense.

January 2nd, 2012 at 7:01 am

Spent some time looking for some fancy plugins for this and couln’t find anything. Then I found your hint and it worked instantly. Thank You!

January 5th, 2012 at 8:31 am

Glad you were able to figure it out quickly.

January 8th, 2012 at 4:51 pm

You made my day! God! I have searched for this … you couldn’t believe it. Never imagined it could be in Archives. Thanks for that … .

February 28th, 2012 at 1:17 pm

i removed section below from catagory.php

<?php
$category_description = category_description();
if ( ! empty( $category_description ) )
echo apply_filters( 'category_archive_meta', '’ . $category_description . ” );
?>
thanks for guiding me..

March 18th, 2012 at 2:35 am

Fantastic! :) Thank you – it worked like a charm.

March 18th, 2012 at 6:14 am

Glad to hear it. :)

April 20th, 2012 at 1:03 am

Can you explain please, how to display categories descriptions?

April 20th, 2012 at 1:40 am

If you are using an Artisteer generated theme, they will automatically be shown. If not, you should be able to just add

echo category_description();

directly beneath where it calls for the category title.

Manoj
October 13th, 2012 at 12:05 am

Kerri
December 23rd, 2012 at 11:27 am

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!